98SE install on TIME machine

Bilbo 17:47 27 Jul 03

Loadsa problems,

A friends old machine bought from TIME.
Trying clean install of 98SE after formatting hard drive.

Install seemed to go OK, but:

Now have 3 options at start up -

1. start computer with CD-ROM support
2. start computer without CD-ROM support
3. View help file

I just want it to start up with CD-ROM support and no options.

Secondly it likes looking for disk in floppy drive at strange times like: when I open control panel, when I open I.E. etc.

Also seems to want to look at floppy on boot up but instead of just moving onto the Hard drive as the second boot option I get the choice of Abort/retry/fail.

Any help would be appreciated as my day has now been totally used up.

Many thanks

TechMad 17:53 27 Jul 03

Take the Win98SE CD out. The CD is "Bootable" therefore if it is present the computer will load the booatble data - The menu options that you see.

Have you been in the BIOS?

TechMad 17:55 27 Jul 03

Is there a floppy disk in the machine that isn't bootable? For example a disk of saved documents? Try these suggestions first then come back.

Bilbo 17:57 27 Jul 03

CD is out of drive.

Only altered boot sequence in BIOS, but have changed that back now.

TechMad 17:57 27 Jul 03

You may have a faulty floppy drive.

Bilbo 18:05 27 Jul 03

Thanks for your time Techmad.

I've got another floppy drive I can try tonight or tomorrow, and hopefully that will solve some problems.

The CD-ROM support options at boot up would seem unrelated to that though wouldn't they?

TechMad 18:10 27 Jul 03

Hummmmm!

I have only ever encountered that menu of options if I leave the Win98SE CD in the drive.

Where do you want the CD-ROM support? MS-DOS?

DieSse 18:16 27 Jul 03

The start-up menu you are seeing is the one that's normally on a Windows boot diskette. If you don't have such a diskette in the drive and it is set not to boot from a floppy, then somehow the autoexec.bat file on the hard drive has entries in it that it shouldn't - maybe due to the way you installed??

I can't see how a faulty floppy drive could be the cause of this.

On the hard drive, rename the autoexec.bat file to autoexec.aaa and reboot - what happens now?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…