5 days to obtain a MAC code?

Probabilitydrive 16:29 13 Jul 07

I am switching my ISP provider from Pipex to Be because of a better package Be is offering.

However, I just called Pipex for the MAC ((Migration Authorisation Code)and I was informed it takes 5 days to generate one!!

Can someone confirm that it takes indeed that long to obtain a MAC code? I was under the impression you give them a call and get your MAC than and there..

Jackcoms 16:33 13 Jul 07

Now I might be an old cynic, but given that Pipex have just been bought by Tiscali and me thinks that job losses/redundancies might be on the cards, I doubt if Pipex employees are in a rush to do anything at the moment (apart, perhaps, from scanning the Situations Vacant columns)!

Stuartli 16:33 13 Jul 07

You are normally advised that a MAC will take up to five days to process.

However, on the two occasions I've requested one from my then ISP it arrived via e-mail within 15 minutes.

Totally-braindead 16:47 13 Jul 07

I got mine in 2 days and it only took that long because they had lost my original request for a MAC code - or so they said.

Probabilitydrive 16:49 13 Jul 07

I experienced recently a couple of- what you call it- black outs? service interruptions?

I decided it was time to move on after 3 years. I share your analysis that Pipex might be not the most forward coming ISP at the moment. However, I requested a ticket and will heed Stuartlis advice of checking my e-mail frequently.

What I'm still unclear of is: After the recent ruling that ISP's have to speed up providing their customer with the MAC code, I was under the impression this meant also providing the code immediately, i.e over the phone, then and there...

nezona 12:31 15 Nov 07

Hi there,

I used to work for an ISP, so I know how difficult it can be to not only get a mac code but a working one, only to have to go back and start all over again.

I found a really useful website today, that has some great information mac code's and even a validty checker.

click here

Probabilitydrive 12:45 15 Nov 07

nezona, useful link.
For the record, i switched to Be. Their service is in general reliable, apart of when they tinkered with 'upgrades at the exchange...etc". It was definitely the right move from Pipex to Be.

Stuartli 12:49 15 Nov 07

nezona's link is an interesting one, but it should be remembered that if your ISP provides you with broadband on an LLU basis it may be more difficult to obtain a MAC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…