3GB Memory in a machine build ?

Fried~Chips 23:28 11 Sep 08

See a lot of places now offering 3GB of DDR memory in their machines. I was led to believe that you should match system memory in dual array. but a Dell XPS system say has x1 2GB & x2 512MB dimms, seems a pointless way of filling the DIMM slots.

Again, can someone explain why 3GB is better than 2GB or even 4GB. Yes I know their is some restriction where the computer will only see 3.5GB in a 4GB array.

thanks

brundle 23:53 11 Sep 08

If you're not obsessed with squeezing the maximum speed out of the memory, running 3GB slightly slower than 2GB in Dual Channel mode makes sense. Manufacturer's are aware that people know they won't get the full benefit of 4GB if they opt for a 32 bit OS, 3GB again seems to be the best compromise.

Fried~Chips 23:58 11 Sep 08

I get now understand that.
thanks.

GaT7 00:06 12 Sep 08

All the 3Gb Dell XPS systems I've seen come with 2x1Gb & 2x512Mb modules?

Do you have a link of an XPS with the configuration you posted?

Remember, some motherboards will still run in dual-channel mode even if 3 RAM slots are filled. I know because my Gigabyte 7N400-Pro2 motherboard did, & mentioned this in the manual as well (so I wasn't imagining it was running in dual-channel when I had 3 slots filled at one point!). G

Fried~Chips 00:36 12 Sep 08

Yes I checked with Crucial details for Dual Channel memory support. Shame with Dells they use OEM unbranded boards, but their usually Intel, Foxconn or Asus underneath.

Dell XPS 420 systems at click here

Just google search dell, select link for Dell UK, nav to Home PCs, Desktops and Dell XPS 420 systems.

GaT7 00:55 12 Sep 08

There are 3 XPS 420 systems with 3Gb memory by default: click here, click here & click here - but none of them come in the config you mentioned, "Dell XPS system say has x1 2GB & x2 512MB dimms,".

As I said before, "All the 3Gb Dell XPS systems I've seen come with 2x1Gb & 2x512Mb modules". G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…