16 bit sound effects on a 32 or 64 bit machine

RickB 22:42 08 Mar 05

I develop sound effects for local am-dram societies and have a large collection of sound fx CD's. However most seem to have been produced for 16 bit systems and are now unstable when used on my 32 bit machine, and unplayable when i use my new 64 bit processor that I've recently installed, Is there any way I can access these older files using my new technology??

Rick

Dragon Heart 02:40 09 Mar 05

64 bit CPU in 32 bit machine ?

It is the bit rate of your sound card that dictates the sound quality, do you have onboard sound (from your motherboard) ?

What file format have you used on the sound fx CD's, have you the correct codec on your 'new' PC

You could try :-

click here

RickB 20:58 09 Mar 05

The sound effects are on a purchased set of 5 CD's and are in AIFF Format Sound files. The CD's each have menu and catalogue files which just lock up when used, my only hope is to extract the sound files themselves and re-store them on hard disk.

However, with my new machine (with a 64 bit processor and Creative Audigy 2 ZS soundcard) even the sound files dont want to run at all - or if they do it doesn't last long. The autoplay on the CD's cause the whole systm to go into spasms and reboots are necessary. On a (not much) older machine (Athlon 1.2 GHz processor, they will run better but are still very tempremental and freeze often.

I am keen to try to resolve this because the basic sound files are very high quality and therefore of value for my sad hobby!

Rick

Dragon Heart 22:02 09 Mar 05

Could be a codec problem try

click here

to download.

Dragon Heart 22:18 09 Mar 05

If you got the PC ADVISOR Newletter today look for download of iTunes for Windows v4.6 .... or try above right

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…