Pebble has announced a new smartwatch, the Pebble Time. It has a color e-paper screen and a new interface. The watch follows the original Pebble and Pebble Steel. See also: The best smartwatches 2015 UK.
Pebble Time: release date
You'll be able to buy the Time from Pebble's website later this year. However, you can pre-order yours right now on Kickstarter (the $500,000 goal was reached in 17 minutes) with an estimated delivery date of May 2015 - not too long to wait.
Pebble Time: price
If you order now on Kickstarter you can get a Time for $159 (approximately £103). If the early bird offer has expired, you can pay $179 (approx. £115) for the limited run of 20,000 Times.
Pebble Time: specifications
The Time comes in three colours:
- Black watch case and silicone band with black PVD stainless steel bezel
- White watch case and silicone band with silver PVD stainless steel bezel
- Red watch case and silicone band with black PVD stainless steel bezel
Here are the headline specs:
- Always-on, daylight readable screen with a great backlight
- Up to 7 day battery life
- Use any standard 22mm watch band
- Water resistant and durable
- Tactile buttons for easy eyes-free clicking
- Silent vibrating alarms
- Step tracking with Misfit and Jawbone
- Language and international character support (Chinese coming soon!)
- Timeline will work on Pebble and Pebble Steel (exact date TBD)
- Works with iOS 8 on iPhone 4s and above
- Works with all Android 4.0+ phones including Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG, Google, Motorola, Xiaomi and more
Pebble Time: features
So the big news is that the watch will have a colour display which is slightly wider and in a casing that's 20 percent thinner. It is still an e-ink screen which is easily readable in sunshine, but it's not touch-sensitive. Other new hardware includes a microphone, improved backlight, a new Cortex M4 processor and a 6-axis gyroscope.
The mic can be used to send voice replies as well as composing short voice notes.
Although a heart rate monitor was rumoured to arrive in a Pebble smartwatch, it hasn't happened with the Time. It is water resistant, like previous Pebbles, so if you want to swim while wearing it, you can.
Software wise, there's a new version of the Pebble watch operating system. It will work wil all 6,500+ apps and watchfaces, but Pebble is asking developers to update their apps for the colour screen.
The big change is that everything is organised on a timeline - the reason for the new name - so you get relevant info such as appointments, weather, news and reminders chronologically. As well as checking upcoming events, you can scroll back to past events to see missed emails, football scores and your step count for the day. It brings the information out of apps to make it easier to access.
Pebble Time: compatibility
Pebble Time is compatible with iPhone 4s and newer iPhones running the latest version of iOS 8. Pebble Time works with all Android 4.0+ phones including Samsung, HTC, Song, LG, Google, Motorola, Xiaomi and more.