We open up our Apple iPad 2 and take a look inside.
As ever, PC Advisor's sister title Macworld UK was amongst the first to get a new Apple iPad 2 by importing one directly from the US to the UK. And lucky we were too as it looks like there is now a three to four week waiting list.
Our iPad has just landed in the office, a few days after being flown in direct from San Francisco (before we go any further: thanks to Jim Galbraith from Macworld.com for picking one up for us from the Apple Store, and Jason Snell for helping out with organising it.)
Come with us as we unbox the iPad 2.
1. The Box. Smaller and thinner than the original Apple iPad box, but still with the minimalist markings that come to signify an Apple product. Doesn't even say iPad on the front, just has an image of the device taken from the side (to show how thin it is).
2.The rear. Nothing but a few specs and the barcode.
3.Off with the lid. Inside is the iPad 2 inside a plastic wrapping.
4. Below the iPad. Underneath the iPad 2 sits the charger and cable, plus a few leaflets.
5. Off with the wrapping. Removing the protective plastic that covers the unit.
6. Check out the contents. Interestingly there is no micro-fibre cloth included (the Smart Cover fulfills the same function). Inside is a few Apple stickers, an instruction pamphlet, and the warranty information.
7. Removing the SIM. We picked up a 3G model from the US, which comes with an AT&T card (now located at the top left of the device). It's still removed using the included SIM card device (or by using a paperclip).
8. Using a UK SIM Card. We inserted a Three SIM card from our iPad. (Yes it works fine. Even though the US model is branded AT&T and comes with an AT&T SIM it is unlocked).
9. Side by Side. Putting the new iPad 2 next to the original iPad shows how much thinner it is.
10. On to the case. The box for the Smart Cover is a little more explanitory. The front shows just the case but the rear has plenty of explaination.
11. The case outside of the box. Not much in the way of packaging. Just the case itself inside the box.
12. Clipped on to the iPad 2. The Smart Cover clicks on to the side and switches on the iPad 2 (which is suggesting here that it'd like to be setup). That's what we're going to do now.
If any readers have questions about using or importing an iPad 2 from the US and using it in the UK let us know in the comments box and we'll be sure to post updates.