After wowing the world with its Lytro camera, the firm is back with a new Illum light field camera. Here's what you need to know about the Lytro Illum release date, price and specs.
If you're wondering 'what is the Lytro Illum?' then it's a professional-grade version of the original Lytro light field camera. In essence, it's a camera which, with the help of clever hardware and software, allows the user to refocus images after they've been taken. See also: Lytro Light Field Camera review - camera lets you change focus of photos after shooting.
"Built to harness the full power of the light field, the professional-grade Lytro Illum will give photographers a new medium capable of capturing visual experiences in their purest form — not as a static cross-section of reality but an authentic, interactive window into their world," said Lytro.
Lytro Illum: Release date
Available to pre-order now, the Lytro Illum has a release date of July 2014. See all camera buying advice.
Lytro Illum: Price
The firm has revealed that the Illum is available to pre-order with a price of $1,599, so that's about £950 in sterling.
Anyone willing to pre-order before 15 July will get some extra benefits thrown in. For starters, the camera will cost $100 less and you'll get an extended two-year warranty. Users are also eligible to join an 'inner circle' of Lytro users with insider access to product development insight and support.
Furthermore, early adopters will be able to submit their own photo series to earn a spot in the Ultimate Lytro Photo Experience, a "once-in-a-lifetime trip to shoot alongside a prominent photographer on an all-expense paid photo shoot."
Lytro Illum: Specs
Here are the full hardware and software specifications for the Lytro Illum light field camera.
• Custom-designed 40-megaray light field sensor
• 8x optical zoom lens (30-250mm equivalent)
• Constant f/2.0 aperture across the entire zoom range
• 1/4000 of a second high-speed shutter
• Extreme close-focus macro capability
• Combination of tactile-controls and smartphone-class, articulating touchscreen
• Dimensions: 86 x 145 x 166mm; 940g
• Hot shoe supports all leading flashes
• Integrated workflow with leading photo software from Adobe and Apple
• Interactive depth feedback display
• Virtual camera controls in post-processing, including aperture focus and perspective adjustments and physically accurate tilt control
• Instantly displays 3D photos on 3D-capable devices
• Integrated sharing to leading social networks including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+
• Library of drag-and-drop cinematic animations, including pan, zoom, focus, perspective shift
• Workflow is compatible with existing photo-editing suites like Adobe's Photoshop and Lightroom software and Apple's Aperture software