We've rounded up the 20 best fighting games that were released between 1998 and 2008. From hip-hop brawlers to free-for-all melees, these titles are the most important fighting games to hit the industry in the past 20 years.
When it comes to computer games, there's no doubt that fighting games are among the most popular, but which titles are best? Is it state-of-the-art, brand-new games or classic titles?
We've rounded up the 20 best fighting games that were released between 1989 and 2009. From hip-hop brawlers to free-for-all melees, these titles are the most important fighting games to hit the industry in the last 20 years.
20: WWF No Mercy, 2000 [N64]
In the glory days of the WWF, everyone knew the Rock's stage music by heart and Mankind was still considered the craziest wrestler in the ring.
WWF No Mercy's incredible arcade gameplay brought everyone's favourite wrestlers together in some of the best matches to hit a home console, achieving a perfect mix of action and grappling techniques.
With the create-a-wrestler mode, detailed storylines and extra content, WWF fans could play this game inside-and-out for years and never get tired of squared circle.
19: Virtua Fighter, 1993 [ARC]
Virtua Fighter was a landmark title in several ways. Before this game, polygon graphics were as common as moon landings and flying cars.
When it hit arcades (and the Sega Saturn in 1994), gamers around the world were amazed at the revolutionary graphics and the realistic fighting system.
By today's standards, Virtua Fighter may look hilariously blocky, but the combat is just as crisp as it ever was. Anytime people talk about 3D fighting games, remember that this one was the title that started the trend.
NEXT PAGE: Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves and Def Jam: Fight For NY
- These were the best games between 1989 and 2009
- Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves and Def Jam: Fight For NY
- WWE SmackDown! Here Comes the Pain and Guilty Gear X2
- Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium and Super Smash Brothers Brawl
- Killer Instinct and X-Men vs. Street Fighter
- Power Stone and Mortal Kombat II
- Street Fighter III: Third Strike and Virtua Fighter 5
- Street Fighter IV and Super Smash Bros Melee
- Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Tekken 3
- Soul Calibur and Street Fighter II Turbo