Just about every time you use your PC you're involved in some kind of file management: saving work documents, importing digital photos, downloading music, whatever it might be. And yet Windows makes very little effort to help. It doesn't matter how many times you drag and drop spreadsheets into the \Work\Accounts folder, for instance - Windows will never learn that's where they belong, and you'll always have to browse to the folder manually. Unless, that is, you install DropIt.
This interesting tool aims to add some much-needed intelligence to the file management process. Drag and drop a spreadsheet onto its floating icon, for instance, and it'll ask you to create an association between that file type and a folder. Once that's done then in future dragging other spreadsheets there will instantly move them to your preferred location.
You can do exactly the same thing with images, audio files, videos, whatever you like, but DropIt can handle more than just extensions. It's also able to match text within a file name, so for example you could associate "*granny*.jpg" with a Pictures\Granny folder, "*florida*.jpg" with Pictures\Florida and so on. Drag an entire folder of digital photos onto DropIt and it'll then automatically sort them into pictures of Granny, Florida and whatever other topics you've specified (as long as the files are named correctly, anyway). Very convenient and easy to use.
Dropit 8.0 is a major upgrade. Key new features/improvements include:
- improved "Extract" action to extract in destination folder (correctly managing duplicates)
- improved support to multiple monitors - added "k(s1)" and "k-(s1)" abbreviation modifiers
- added "d>d1" and "d<d1" abbreviation modifiers (instead of "c>d1" and "c<d1" that are deprecated)
- added "ProductName" and "Rating" abbreviations
- added "Split" and "Join" actions - added profile name to the Processing window
- added support to "Export all" and "Import all" profiles from Customize Profiles context menu
- added support to auto-hide target image on the nearest side (auto-detected)
- added support to define the visible pixels of the target image when hidden (read 4.4 of the Guide)
- added support to enable/disable "Ctrl" and "Alt" hotkeys during process (read 4.4 of the Guide)
- added support to enable/disable profile switching with mouse scroll wheel
- added support to force sending one file per mail (setting "0" as "Attachment size limit")
- updated the internal tool to manage SFTP connections (PSFTP v0.63)
- fixed "Open With" action if "Ignore files if in use by other programs" is enabled
- fixed automatic correction of invalid characters in abbreviations
- fixed issue with standby/hibernation when DropIt is minimized
- fixed support to compress in "Store" level - fixed some minor bugs