Just about every time you use your PC you're involved in some kind of file management: saving work documents, importing digital photos, downloading music, whatever it might be. And yet Windows makes very little effort to help. It doesn't matter how many times you drag and drop spreadsheets into the \Work\Accounts folder, for instance - Windows will never learn that's where they belong, and you'll always have to browse to the folder manually. Unless, that is, you install DropIt.
This interesting tool aims to add some much-needed intelligence to the file management process. Drag and drop a spreadsheet onto its floating icon, for instance, and it'll ask you to create an association between that file type and a folder. Once that's done then in future dragging other spreadsheets there will instantly move them to your preferred location.
You can do exactly the same thing with images, audio files, videos, whatever you like, but DropIt can handle more than just extensions. It's also able to match text within a file name, so for example you could associate "*granny*.jpg" with a Pictures\Granny folder, "*florida*.jpg" with Pictures\Florida and so on. Drag an entire folder of digital photos onto DropIt and it'll then automatically sort them into pictures of Granny, Florida and whatever other topics you've specified (as long as the files are named correctly, anyway). Very convenient and easy to use.
Dropit 6.0 is a major upgrade:
- improved interface
- improved performance
- integrated "Compress" and "Create List" options in associations (removed globally)
- integrated "Consider rules as Regular Expressions" option in associations (removed globally)
- integrated "Pause until opened file is closed" option in associations (removed globally)
- added "Remove source after processing it" option in associations for some actions
- added option to "Always scan subfolders" or try to process them (e.g. to remove empty subfolders)
- added support to define a path in Rename field to move renamed files/folders
- added support to set associations as Favourites that have priority in case of multiple matches
- fixed some minor bugs