Avira Free AntiVirus 2015 is a reliable antivirus engine which does a great job of keeping your PC malware-free.
Installation is simple and straightforward. Unlike the competition, there are no demands to remove competing products: we had Norton Internet Security installed on the test PC, and were able to run both packages alongside each other without problems.
Once the program is running it provides all the features you'd expect: files you access are checked for threats in real time, you can carry out on-demand antivirus scans on any part of your system whenever you like, and a capable scheduler allows you to set up regular scans to run automatically and unattended.
The 2015 release adds new installation options. Avira Browser Safety keeps you safe online, Avira SafeSearch prevents you from reaching malicious sites, and there's a chance to install Dropbox, too (all can be bypassed if you're not interested).
If this isn't enough power for you, Avira provides a couple of alternative solutions.
Avira Antivirus Pro 2015 has everything in the free edition, and adds identity/ credit card theft protection, blocking of email threats, and free technical support.
Avira Internet Security 2015 takes all these features and extends them with encryption tools, PC maintenance options (free hard drive space, increase performance), and more.
What's new in "update 9"? New features:
- One Installer for both products Avira Free and Avira Pro
- One Webloader for both products Avira Free and Avira Pro
- On the fly product upgrade and downgrade based on the used licenses
- Webguard crash of module libeay32.dll has been fixed
- Unnecessary *.dll files from previous kits have been removed
- Upload window to Avira cloud has been updated
- Webguard crash on program startup has been fixed
- The EULA has been updated