In spite of the name, Emsisoft Anti-Malware 7.0 is also an antvirus tool – viruses having been grouped together into the malware category for the sake of convenience. The program’s web pages points out that while the software may not be free, it is low cost and provides a great level of protection that is generally only found in more expensive security suites.
One of the key features of this program is that it boasts two scanning engines, the second of which is provided by security experts BitDefender. Having two scanning engines in place not only means that there is a far greater chance of detecting any threats before they become a problem, but it also reduces the risk of false positives. As well as the new BitDefender scanner, Emsisoft’s own scanning engine has also been optimized for better performance.
Things get off to a great start right from the moment of installation. As soon as installation is complete, the latest viruses definitions will be downloaded and then your computer will be scanned for any viruses or malware that may already be lurking. Once this has been done you can then configure the various real time protection tools such as File Guard which checks the files that are downloaded, and Surf Protection which blocks access to malicious web sites.
There is also the Behavior Blocker component which can be used to effectively block unknown threats based on their behaviour – if suspicious activity is noticed, it can be stopped in its tracks. As well as real time protection, you can also perform scheduled scans of your system so you can be sure that you are always free from infection.
Emsisoft Anti-Malware 22.214.171.124 brings these changes:
- Added support of network share scanning.
- Improved Windows 8 compatibility.
- Internal enhancements for Enterprise Console support.
- Service restart behavior changed as required by Microsoft for certification.
- Scheduler bug that occured on midnight actions – fixed.
- Minor registration key input box problem – fixed.
- Bug in reloading of specific imported settings – fixed.
- Occasional application crash when clicking menu items – fixed.
- Initial delay for missed scheduled scans or updates was increased to up to 1 minute.
- Risk level rating of malware improved.
- Bug when submitting custom host rules – fixed.