The registry is an incredibly important component of Windows and whether you are using a tweaking tool to do the hard work for you or you are editing the registry by hand, it is important that you have a backup in place in case anything should go wrong. Registry Backup from Tweaking.com is a free tool that can be used to manually or automatically backup your registry so it can be restored if needed.
The program can be used to back up the registry as a whole, or you can choose to only back up the hives and branches you are going to be working with. The actual backup process is very quick and simple, and the same can be said of the restoration procedure.
There are not too many settings that you need to concern yourself with, but if you find that you are having problems creating backups with a regular user account, you can opt to elevate the program to run under a system account. You can also opt to create automatic backup by making use of Windows’ Task Scheduler, and to reduce the amount of drive space you need to set aside, older backups can be deleted after a certain number of days.
There is also a portable version of the program available and this is a great option if you work with multiple computers. It enables you to easily store all of the backups for your various computers in one place and easily use the software in Safe Mode or on system that have problem installing new applications. Whether you opt to use the regular or portable version, you have a powerfultool on your hands.
Version 1.10.0 changes:
- Added code to detect what drive letters are in use on the system and if the vss drive letter in the program is set to one that is in use then the program will auto change the vss drive letter to use. If vss mapped a drive letter that as already in use then Windows would freak out until rebooted and the backup would fail. This will no longer happen with this new function.
- Updated the controls in the program to use less sub classing. When the program was ran in hidden mode and the controls tried to draw themselves and the program went to close itself after a backup the program would crash. The new changes to the controls make the program more stable and will hopefully fix this problem.
- Updated graphics to the interface of the program.
- Moved the image controls used in the program into a ocx file. This has reduced the size of the main exe by 460 KB. Also making the program more stable and require less memory.
- Multiple interface code tweaks and enhancements.