How many times have you been browsing the web on your mobile or tablet and stumbled across and article that you would like to read but don’t have the time immediately? You could simply bookmark the sites that you want to read at some point in the future, but it is all too easy for such bookmark lists to become unwieldy and there is often no way to search for an article using keywords or other criteria.
One possible solution exists in the form of Pocket – which many people may have already used in in previous incarnation of Read It Later. The app acts as a filing system for content you don’t have time to read, and everything you choose to ‘pocket’ is quickly synched so that it is made available on other devices. There is support for more than 300 apps so you are not tied to content you discover through your web browser, you can also use Pocket in conjunction with Twitter clients and other social networking tools.
Anyone who has used the likes of Instapaper will be familiar with the way in which Pocket works, but this app has a much more refined interface. Seemingly taking inspiration from the likes of Flipboard, the UI is clean and uncluttered and benefits from a lovely layout. There are a variety of views to choose from and content you have saved can be filtered by type so you can quickly jump to images you have saved or videos.
The app is available for iOS and Android, but bookmarklets also exist that enable you to make use of the service from your Mac or PC. Whatever device you use to ‘pocket’ online content, it will all be made available through your online account that you can access using a computer, mobile or tablet – whatever suits you best at the time.
Pocket 5 brings these improvements:
- Smarter, more dynamic, and offers streamlined navigation and search.
- We’ve designed it to help you spend more time reading, watching and consuming the best content in your list, and less time looking for it.
- Highlights, a feature that uses Pocket’s insights to surface the best and most relevant content in your list.
- A new streamlined navigation makes it easier than ever to jump to your List, Highlights, Favorites, and Archive, and quickly filter your content no matter where you are in your list.
- We’ve also unified search to make it easy to find anything in Pocket. It’s no longer necessary to re-enter your search when switching between My List and Archive to find what you’re looking for.