SpeedFan is a system monitoring tool that can detect and display your PCs fan speeds, motherboard and hard drive temperature, system voltages, hard drive status and more. And it's able to control fan speeds according to the temperature of other components, helping you to reduce system noise.
Launching the program on our test PC, for instance, displayed a host of useful information: CPU type, the temperature of each core, the system temperature, the speeds of all four system fans, and voltages including Vcore, +12V and AVcc.
Click the Chart tab and you're able to plot graphs showing how these figures change over time, very useful if your PC is misbehaving and you think it might be overheating. Leave SpeedFan running in the background, run something that will exercise your system - a fast 3D game, say - then check the SpeedFan chart to find out exactly what's going on.
A S.M.A.R.T. tab is supposed to show you the status of your hard drives, assuming they support the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring system: you'll get to see details like the current drive temperature, spin-up time, read errors and so on. This didn't work for us as the program didn't even recognise our hard drives for some reason, but you may be more lucky.
And if you'd like to do more than just monitor what's happening, you may be able to set up SpeedFan to vary your fan speeds depending on what's happening elsewhere in the system, although again the success of this will depend on how well the program works with your individual hardware.
Recent changes include:
- Added full support for Nuvoton NCT6791D (including fan control)
- Improved external (USB) hard disk detection (some were not properly detected on Windows 8)
- Added a new method to access hard disks connected to 3ware RAID controllers (works on 64 bit systems too)
- Added support for Intel core temperature (Family 06h Model 3Ch)
- Added support for Intel core temperature (Family 06h Model 3Eh)
- Added support for AMD Family 15h temperature
- Added support for AMD Family 16h temperature
- Added support for Intel 8 Series SMBus
- Added support for Intel 8 Series Mobile SMBus
- Added support for Intel 9 Series SMBus
- Added Nuvoton NCT6779D/NCT6791D advanced option to choose between PWM and DC output for System Fan (PWM 1)
- Added 4 more temperature readings to NCT6779D
- Added Fintek F71808A advanced setting: PWM TYPE 3
- Added preliminary support for ITE IT8620E temperatures and fan speeds