AMT - Auto-Movie-Thumbnailer is an easy-to-use tool for creating thumbnails of video files. If you had a 10 minute home movie, for instance, you could ask the program to produce 20 thumbnails, and it would extract a frame every 30 seconds and present them in a single graphic.
If you're presenting movies for others then these thumbnails provide a simple way for them to preview the contents. But they may also be useful for you. If you're looking for a particular moment from a home movie but aren't sure where to find it, then creating thumbnails can help you find out at a glance, without the need to manually trawl through every single clip.
Building your thumbnails is very straightforward. Just point the program at the folder containing any videos you'd like to import, click Start Processing, and that's about it. AMT - Auto-Movie-Thumbnailer will work through each video in turn (it imports all the main formats), create your thumbnail graphics, and save them in the same folder.
If you want to take more control of the process, though, there are plenty of settings available to be tweaked. These start with simple options, defining the output file names that AMT - Auto-Movie-Thumbnailer will create. And they carry on right down to the very low-level details, like the command line arguments the program uses to control MPlayer, the media player that obtains the individual frames.
All this functionality can seem a little intimidating at first. Play around and you'll soon figure out the basics, though, and on balance AMT is an excellent tool.
Version 5.0 brings:
- Added – Timestamp customization options (see “Thumbnail Preview – Timestamp Generation”)
- Added – Option to auto-update Folder Treeview
- Added – Option for variable / timed-screenshoting / to “Make a screenshot every X seconds”
- Updated – Folder Treeview > added option to cancel refresh when (slow) network folders are included
- Updated – Better detection of Video and Audio bitrate (see “BitRate_Nominal/String” & “SamplingRate/String”)
- Updated – Moved “Shutdown when finished” / “Notify when Cylce finished” to “Progress” tab
- Updated – Removed “AMT-Previewer.exe” and related functions
- Lots of bug fixes and style changes