Greenshot is a powerful open source screen capture tool that will quickly create and save the grabs you need.
Launch the installer and it's immediately obvious that this isn't just another screengrab program. There are optional plugins for Office, Imgur, Confluence, an OCR plugin (though it does need Microsoft Office Document Imaging), and more.
Pressing PrtSc then allows you to capture regions, windows or the entire screen, and in a couple of clicks you can automate what happens next. The image might be sent to the clipboard or printer, for instance, or opened in your regular image editor. You can have a Save As dialog pop up, or even leave Greenshot to automatically save the file using your preferred settings, a real timesaver if you've plenty of grabs to do.
The easiest option is to open your screen grabs in Greenshot's own editor, though. This allows you to resize, rotate or crop images, maybe annotate them with rectangles and ellipses, lines, arrows, text boxes, callouts and more.
A capable range of Effects help you highlight some areas of the grab, obfuscate others, add borders, drop shadows, torn edges and so on.
And when it's finished you can save the file, print it, despatch the image by email, or more, all in a click or two.
It's all very easy to use, reasonably lightweight, and very configurable - if you don't like some aspect of the program then it can probably be changed. Capture type, destination, printer settings, default file name, JPEG compression, whether or not to include the mouse cursor in a grab, all these options and more can quickly be adjusted to suit your requirements.
Version 1.2 changes:
* Added the possibility to select the region to capture by using the keyboard, use the cursor keys to move the cursor (ctrl-key speeds up the movement) and the enter key to mark the start and ending.
* Added support for another clipboard format "Format17" (aka CF_DIBV5) which could improve the result of the "open image from clipboard" and drag&drop actions.
* Editor: a resize effect with settings window has been added.
* Editor: a settings window for the torn-edge effect has been added, the settings will be stored.
* Editor: a settings window for the drop shadow effect has been added, the settings will be stored.
* OneNote: Enabled and enhanced the OneNote destination, so we can test this and see if it's worth releasing.
* External command: If a command outputs an URI this will be captured and placed on the clipboard, the behaviour currently can only be modified in the greenshot.ini
* FEATURE-184, FEATURE-282, FEATURE-486: Image editor now has a speech bubble
* FEATURE-281, FEATURE-669, FEATURE-707, FEATURE-734: Image editor now has auto incrementing labels
* FEATURE-757: Greenshot will now store the last used region in the greenshot.ini, which makes it also available after a restart.
* FEATURE-758: Due to the fact that more and more high DPI displays are used, we added a setting to change the icon size.
* FEATURE-776: Improvement of the torn edge settings dialog
* FEATURE-777: Improvement of the font family settings, also changed the used font for every family making it easier to find your font.