SoftPerfect Network Scanner is a powerful, portable tool that can help manage, troubleshoot and check the security of any network.
Just give the program an IP address range, click the Start Scanning button, and it'll use ICMP, NetBIOS and SNMP to check everything that's currently connected to the network: PCs, laptops, router, network printer, anything that has its own IP address.
At a minimum you'll get a list of each connected device, including its network name, MAC and IP address. And you can then manage PCs or laptops from here, perhaps sending a message to the currently logged-on user, shutting down the system remotely, or sending a Wake-On-LAN message to start a system that's currently turned off.
Even better, SoftPerfect Network Scanner will also detect and display resources that are shared on the network (both administrative and hidden), so you can easily check that all your networked systems are properly configured. And if you spot something that looks out of place then double-clicking it will open the share in Explorer, a quick way to find out exactly what's being exposed.
The program is multi-threaded for maximum performance, highly configurable, and provides many other ways to remotely administer networked PCs. You may be able to find out more about their services, access Registry information, even send WMI queries, although you'll need some WQL (WMI Query Language) knowledge to get the most from this.
Build 5.5.4 brings these changes:
- Fixed incorrect row highlighting for unique/non-unique filters.
- Added remembering custom LDAP URL for importing computers from AD.
- Excluded x.x.x.0 address from being treated as a broadcast address.
- Excluded disabled IP ranges when scanning previously undiscovered computers.
- Rescanning existing entries and previously undiscovered items made cancellable.
- Fixed painting custom column text colour in selected lines for better readability.
- Made launching third-party apps relative to netscan's location, not the current directory.
- Added displaying byte/kilobyte/megabyte values received from WMI in a readable form.
- Added folding repetitions for multiple values in a column (this can be turned off if it's needed)
- Added updating router MAC address cache before rescanning existing or discovering new devices.
- Added import/export of friendly names and mixed friendly name mappings (IP or MAC or host name).
- Fixed retaining filter to use the latest filtering condition and saving value for non-value filters.