Notepad3 is a Scintilla-based text editor with some Notepad2 code included, and a few additions of its own.
- Code folding
- Support for bookmarks
- Option to mark all occurrences of a word
- Word auto-completion
- Syntax highlighting support for AutoHotkey, AutoIt3, AviSynth, Bash, CMake, CoffeeScript, Inno Setup, LaTeX, Lua, Markdown, NSIS, Ruby, Tcl, YAML and VHDL scripts
- Improved support for NFO ANSI art.
- Support for replacing Windows Notepad using a clean, unintrusive registry-based method.
- Other various minor changes and tweaks
If you don't recognise the names, it's essentially a smart plain text editor which you can use just like Notepad, but has plenty of useful extras just below the surface.
There's drag and drop editing, for instance (select a block, drag and drop it somewhere else); case conversion; bookmarking; powerful find and replacement with regular expression support; "always on top" and transparent window support; a zoom tool, extended clipboard, line manipulation tools, file change notifications, and more.
The program is aimed at developers, so you also get syntax highlighting, line numbers, code folding, visual brace matching and more.
If you're not a developer then you don't have to use, or even see most of these features. Click the View menu, clear "Line Numbers" and "Long Line Marker" and Notepad3 will look much like any other editor.
Notepad3 is a capable Notepad replacement with some worthwhile additions of its own, especially bookmarking and the extended syntax highlighting. If you'll use these extras it's worth a try.