The other day we were looking through our phone records and realised that just to own a business phone can cost over £400 a year, and that’s before we start to make international calls. Indeed, £400/year is regarded as small fry for BT and often doesn’t get your business on to their plans, which save you money when you start making international calls.
What’s the solution? One answer is Skype. This is VOIP technology that’s been around for a few years now and enables you to make very cheap international calls using your broadband. You don’t need ultra-fast broadband to make audio-only calls, either. Better still, some Skype calls can be better quality that some regular international calls, between certain countries.
Skype isn’t just limited to cheap audio calls. If you have faster broadband, you can use it to have a video conference between one or more people. Idea if you plan on bringing together multiple people from various territories, during a working day when phone costs are at their highest.
We use Skype to keep in contact with our international partners. We can use the technology to chat with these partners, through typing messages like you would if you were using MSN Messenger. Anyone with a Skype account can be brought in to a conference where everyone can contribute and swap files.
What's New in Version 6.20
- We've made it easier to find bots on Skype - just tap on the bot icon in your Recent header.
- Found a helpful bot? Tap the conversation header while chatting to a bot and add it to your favorites.
- We've improved the reliability of your notifications.
- Muted conversations no longer appear in your unread message count.
- Get your friend's attention with @mentions. Simply type @ followed by your friend's name to mention them in any message.
- You'll now see when Skype is updating your conversations or when you're having network problems.
- We've made improvements to voice messaging, so it should now work for everyone!
Please continue to send us feedback by opening the app and tapping the Skype Community link in My info. We are listening!
Business application that enables you to keep in contact with international partners, make cheap calls and much more. Excellent tool, let down but the inconsistency in development between different operating systems.