Comodo Internet Security Premium 8 is a collection of powerful tools which aims to keep your PC safe from even the very latest in malware threats.
The suite includes a strong antivirus engine and smart firewall. Comodo's "Defense+" system monitors program activities, looking for malware-like behaviour. The virtual desktop provides an isolated environment where you can run programs, or browse the web, without any risk to your system. And URL filtering keeps you safe by blocking access to malicious sites.
Most of this works entirely automatically, and so novice users can simply carry on using their PC just as they did before.
But if you need more control, Comodo Internet Security Premium has plenty to explore. You can monitor process activity in an extended Task Manager, or Comodo's Killswitch; there's a configurable sandbox for running suspect applications; a versatile Host Intrusion Protection System helps you define exactly what programs can (and can't) do on your system, and a host of settings and options ensure the program works exactly as you'd like.
New features this time include an auto-sandboxing policy, which by default keeps dubious programs isolated from your PC.
If this doesn't suit your needs, no problem: it's now possible to set up your own auto-sandboxing rules, using parameters like file reputation and origin.
Comodo Internet Security 8 now takes advantage of hardware virtualisation when available, allowing the program to operate at the hypervisor level. An improved Viruscope makes it easier to monitor your system for unwanted applications. Comodo Internet Security logs events to the Windows Event Logs, useful when you're troubleshooting.
This all comes packaged in a flat-look interface, which has also been redesigned to simplify navigation.
Note that the Premium version is free. You can upgrade to Pro, Complete and Plus versions, with additional functionality such as a virus guarantee and much more.
What's new in build 8.2.0?
- After CIS installations you will be directed to a landing page where you will find the details of the product and the benefits of the features.
- In case you need you will be able to open Geekbuddy chat window directly on malware found notification window.
- CIS Firewall doesn't recognize safe applications with short-format path (e.g. \progra~1\)
- Diagnostics failed after update windows from Win 8.1 to Win 10
- Chromodo UAC and update offer appear during CIS installation
- Malicious and unrecognized file does not run in Sandbox from VTRoot folder
- Sandbox does not block malicious launched from 'Quarantine'
- CIS/CES COM components keys should be removed from registry after installation
- Incorrect displaying name in 'FW Application Rules' after removing application via "IOBit Uninstaller"
- ASE is freezes after launch 'Purge' with empty rule
Comodo 8 isn't a mjaor upgrade, but the package still has plenty of security tools to explore, and experts will appreciate the new sandboxing flexibility.