Avast! Premier 2015 is the company's premium security suite, and includes an antivirus engine, firewall, browsing protection and browser cleanup tool.
The suite builds on Avast Internet Security with an automated software update tool, which can not only alert you to new updates, but download and install them as well.
Another big extra is a military-grade data shredder, which can wipe important files, documents and other personal data, and ensure there's no chance they can be recovered.
AccessAnywhere is the other premium feature, and allows you to access your PC over the internet.
Installation is simple and straightforward. Compatibility seems good, too, with the package running happily alongside Norton Internet Security on our test PC.
The program interface is clean and very easy to use. Just click "Smart Scan" and the suite immediately runs a quick check for malware. But it now also scans for missing software updates, runs a new Home Security Network Check (wifi status, weak router passwords etc), and even looks for junk files and poorly configured Windows settings.
If you're in a hurry then you can click "Resolve all" and leave the program to sort out the details.
But if you need more control then Avast! Premier 2015 has plenty to offer. For example, the antivirus engine can check individual files, folders, removable media, commonly infected areas of your PC or the entire system. If that's not enough, you're able to create your own custom scan type by tweaking 30+ settings. And this can be scheduled to run at boot time, daily, weekly, monthly - whenever you like.
The 2015 edition adds SecureDNS to protect you from DNS hijacking, including wifi hotspots and unsecured networks in general.
New support for scanning TLS/SSL protected traffic will detect threats even on HTTPS connections.
Avast DeepScreen now uses hardware virtualisation to run processes in standalone virtual machines, completely isolated from the rest of your system, improving security and detection (you'll need hardware virtualisation to be supported and enabled, of course).
Help has moved completely online, where it's both more complete and more up-to-date.
Avast 2015 R3 includes these changes:
- Grimefighter is now redone and called Cleanup.
- runs without need of reboot
- much faster
- runs on more devices (better compatibility)
- Improved Windows 10 compatibility
- Ability to check compatibility issues with other antivirus software
- Host-based intrusion prevention system (HIPS): an installed software package which monitors a single host for suspicious activity by analyzing events occurring within that host
- StreamFilter with HTTPS scanning is now available also for Windows XP/Vista
- NG is not using Volume Shadow Copy Service anymore
And R3 SP1 brings these minor improvements:
- Fixed problems with HTTPS browsing on Windows XP SP2
- Fixed problems with email clients on Windows XP SP2
- Fixed issues with firewall during program update and during update on Windows 10
Avast Premier 2015 is a versatile, easy-to-use and configurable security suite. Avast Internet Security 2015 is almost as capable, security-wise, though - it's just missing the automated software updating, data shredder and remote access modules - and could be a better choice for many users.