While the Notepad tool bundled with Windows is fine for making quick text notes, for anything more than this it is somewhat lacking in features. There is always the option of using a word processor for creating more in depth documents, but sometimes a middle ground is needed - this is the gap that Notepad++ has been designed to fill.
The program has a small footprint and is quick to load, and while it has been designed as a replacement for Notepad, it has a great deal more to offer. The tabbed interface makes it possible to work with multiple documents simultaneously without the need to open several instances of the program and simple touches such as line numbering and syntax highlighting make it ideal for programmers editing code.
Notepad++ can be used to record and playback macros, and sections of large documents can be bookmarked for easy access. The program recognising a range of different coding styles, from C++ and Java to HTML and Perl and multiple documents can be viewed at the same time for the purposes of comparison, or a document can be cloned ready for editing while retaining the original version.
This is a hugely versatile tool which will prove incredibly useful for any coder, but also operates well as a more powerful text editor.
What's new in 7.0?
- x64 build available.
- Fix the DLL Hijacking Vulnerability of previous versions (by updating NSIS to v3.0).
- Auto-updater improvement: periodical check can be disable via auto-update prompt dialog.
- Installer enhancement: Check if Notepad++ is running and ask the user to close it before continue.
- Enhancement: add conflict detection to Shortcut Mapper.
- Fix auto-completion on XML comment <!-- comment --> and <?xml> tag bug.
- Fix file saving crash which can be reproduced through a specific way to save file.
- Fix a crash issue while UDL's user keyword list is too long.
- Fix HDPI issues for some components (task list, margins and shortcut mapper).
- Add a new feature(optional) : Close the last document will quit Notepad++.
- Add more Change Case variants (Title Case, Sentence case, iVERT cASE, rANdOm caSe).
- Add Open file & open containing folder commands on selected file/folder name in text content.
- Add Search on Internet command on selected word(s) in text content.
- Add Scroll Tab Bar with mouse wheel capacity.
- Add commands for moving the current file tab Forward/Backward.
- Fix bug of monitoring not working for files under root.
- Ruby is supported by Function List.
- Added new option: Enable scrolling beyond last line.
- Add an option to restore old behaviour (open files in folder) while folder being dropped.
A fast and lean Notepad replacement that can be put to a variety of uses