DU Meter is a powerful and highly configurable network monitor that helps you keep a very close eye on how your network and internet traffic is being used.
The program is unusually smart. You don't have to monitor all network traffic, for instance, although that's one option: you can also have DU Meter track just your internet activities, or only your local LAN traffic.
Set that up and a small but informative chart will immediately begin displaying your current upload and download speed. This works for us, but if you disagree then there are plenty of tweaks to apply. You're able to choose from 3 graph types; you can display separate graphs for uploads and downloads; the graph can be embedded in your taskbar, or even collapsed to a tiny bar with upload and download figures only.
If you don't want to watch your bandwidth all the time, then you can just have DU Meter warn you when your total monthly traffic exceeds a particular figure. It's possible to perform some action as a result of these alerts, too, for example stopping all network traffic once a particular limit has been reached.
Or you can browse a lengthy list of detailed reports. These cover the traffic today; your total traffic this week, this month and more (with projected estimates of what's going to happen in future); hourly, daily, weekly or monthly reports, and more. You can also figure out traffic costs and configure custom reports of your own, and any of these can be exported to PDF, XLS, CSV, HTML and other formats in a few clicks.
Version 7.0 (Change Log):
- Simultaneous monitoring of Internet and LAN traffic has been added. You can now seamlessly switch from seeing only Internet network traffic to LAN and vice versa with just one mouse click.
- DU Meter now sports per-application traffic monitoring! Ever wondered which application is using up all your network bandwidth? Guess no more: switch to the new per-application traffic monitoring tab in DU Meter and instantly see what's going on.
- Network Connections now shows accumulated per-connection and per-application traffic totals, while discriminating between Internet and LAN network traffic (DU Meter exclusive!).
- Wi-Fi signal monitoring is now available! From now on, a sudden change in network throughput can easily be correlated with Wi-Fi signal quality changes. See if improving your Wi-Fi reception can in fact improve your Internet experience.
- Much improved DU Meter main window: tabs to easily switch between new traffic monitoring modes, new color scheme for better blend with Windows 8 and Windows 10, new Metro look, snap-to-screen-edges borders, and more.
- Accessibility improvements for visually impaired users: DU Meter now fully respects and supports Windows high-contrast mode, and fonts and font sizes can be changed in Options.
- Full Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 support. We have extensively tested DU Meter with the current pre-release version of Windows 10, resolved numerous issues and made sure it works perfectly. If any updates are required when Windows 10 is finally released, these updates will be free for registered DU Meter 7 users
DU Meter is an excellent network monitor, there's no doubt, but all the free competition does leave it looking a little expensive