Firefox Beta is the build for those who like a little bit of jeopardy, but who don’t want to risk everything by trying out Firefox Aurora, the early alpha build of Firefox. Firefox Beta gives you a sneak peek at the next version of Firefox six weeks ahead of its final release, offering a relatively stable build that’s not quite ready for primetime, but still pretty solid.
Whereas Firefox Aurora installs as a completely separate application alongside your existing Firefox installation, Firebox Beta will replace the stable build. Should you subsequently wish to go back to the safer version, you’ll need to manually download the stable version and install it over the top of the beta build.
Confirm which build you have by selecting About Firefox from the Firefox menu or button (it’s inside the Help menu if using the Firefox button).
Firefox 50 is now in the Beta channel. New features include:
- Improved printing by using the Reader Mode
- New preference for allowing Ctrl+Tab to cycle through tabs in recently used order
- Find in page now supports a mode to search for whole words only
- Fixed rendering of dashed and dotted borders with rounded corners (border-radius)
- Use accel-(opt/alt)-r as the reader mode keyboard shortcut
- Emoji for everyone! Firefox will use built-in Emoji on operating systems without native Emoji fonts
Version 48 includes enhanced protection against malware downloads and more.