Firefox Beta is the build for those who like a little bit of jeopardy, but who don’t want to risk everything by trying out Firefox Aurora, the early alpha build of Firefox. Firefox Beta gives you a sneak peek at the next version of Firefox six weeks ahead of its final release, offering a relatively stable build that’s not quite ready for primetime, but still pretty solid.
Whereas Firefox Aurora installs as a completely separate application alongside your existing Firefox installation, Firebox Beta will replace the stable build. Should you subsequently wish to go back to the safer version, you’ll need to manually download the stable version and install it over the top of the beta build.
Confirm which build you have by selecting About Firefox from the Firefox menu or button (it’s inside the Help menu if using the Firefox button).
Firefox 41 is now in the Beta channel. New features include:
- NEW. SVG images can be used as favicons
- NEW. Support for TSF (Text Services Framework).
- NEW. New look for session restore and welcome back page
- NEW. Ability to set a profile picture for your Firefox Account.
- NEW. Firefox Hello now includes instant messaging
Version 40 includes a new look for the "welcome back" page and more.