The web is so ubiquitous these days that many people think that it’s the internet as opposed to an – admittedly – ever-increasing part of it. There’s email, usenet (for newsgroups) and FTP. FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, and is used for the storage and transfer of files over the internet. Although largely eclipsed by the web – and it’s possible to access online storage through your web browser – FTP remains a valuable resource for those whose business involves transferring large numbers of files over the internet and who find email or the web unable to handle their needs.
As a consequence, FTP clients like Filezilla still prove popular, and now there’s a client on the scene that could potentially redefine the landscape. Cyberduck is already well known to Mac users, but has now been ported across to Windows, and offers far more than just a simple FTP client: it also supports FTP/TFL, SFTP, WebDAV, Amazon S3, Google Docs, Google Storage, Windows Azure, and Rackspace Cloud Files.
Once installed, the program will detect any FTP accounts in other clients (including Filezilla) and import them across – you’ll then see a list of all connections as a series of drive icons: click one to connect or set up a new connection manually. An Explorer-like view of your remote location will open, enabling you to browse your files. Downloading and uploading can be done via the supplied controls, but we had problems getting the program to upload anything using the upload button. Thankfully, Cyberduck supports full drag-and-drop from other folder windows, and this worked with no problems.
The program is open source, but you will be prompted to make a donation each time a new version is released. It’s still early days for this Windows version, but the signs are that this could be a serious player in the FTP client market.
Cyberduck 4.7.1 improvements include:
- [Feature] Invalidate multiple files using wildcards (CloudFront)
- [Bugfix] Accessibility for blind users in Transfer window (VoiceOver) (#1343)
- [Bugfix] Interoperability with Ceph S3 (#8779)
- [Bugfix] Interoperability with Oracle Service Cloud (#8902)
- [Bugfix] Second level cache not invalidated when reloading browser (#8774)
- [Bugfix] Subfolder appearing inside folder of same name (S3) (#8769)
- [Bugfix] Directory removal fails silently (S3) (#8803)
- [Bugfix] Resuming upload with nested folders (S3)
- [Bugfix] Routing failure when connecting to IPv6 address because of wrong default network interface (#8802)
- [Bugfix] MD5 checksum failure for downloads (WebDAV) (#8798)
- [Bugfix] MD5 checksum failure for large object downloads (OpenStack Swift) (#8861)
- [Bugfix] Segmented upload marked as incomplete (OpenStack Swift) (#8859)
- [Bugfix] Failure cancelling queued transfer (#8844)
- [Bugfix] Copy & Paste menu items disabled (Mac) (#8849)
- [Bugfix] Support retrieving files from buckets from Requester Pays Buckets (S3) (#8893)
- [Bugfix] Missing C++ Redistributable Package library installation (Windows) (#8162
Cyberduck is a powerful free FTP client made popular on the Mac, but now available for your PC