Is your e-book collection is a disorganised mess of different formats and competing viewers? It doesn't have to be that way. Calibre is an e-book management tool that will quickly bring order to the situation, and help you get more from the format, and (if you have one) your portable e-book reader.
The process starts by letting the program organise your e-books library. Point calibre at your files and it'll quickly (and almost automatically) build a database around your collection, downloading metadata like covers for extra visual appeal. You can then sort and search your books by title, author, date published, rating, custom tags and more, making it quick and easy to find whatever you need.
Calibre can then display your book, too (as long as it's not DRM-protected), with an integrated viewer that handles all the main formats and supports features like table of contents, CSS, printing, searching, embedded fonts and more.
You also get a comprehensive conversion tool that will convert documents in all the main e-book formats (CBZ, CBR, CBC, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, TCR, TXT) to any of twelve standard formats (EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, TCR, TXT).
And there are many surprising extras. Calibre can automatically fetch news from websites or RSS feeds, for instance, then format the results into an eBook. A powerful sync tool will work with many different devices, from dedicated e-book readers like the Kindle to Android phones and the iPhone. And the program even includes an integrated web server that allows you to access your e-book collection from a browser, anywhere in the world.
Version 2.67.0 changes include (release notes):
- Allow creating custom rating columns that support half-stars via Preferences->Add your own columns
- Tag Browser: Add an option in Preferences->Look & Feel->Tag Browser to turn off the display of counts in
- Tag browser: Show the book counts on the right edge of the Tag Browser
- Cover Browser: Allow any metadata field to be used as the sub-title, not just the rating
- Edit Book: A new tool to sort the rules in a CSS stylesheet. To use it add it to the toolbar for CSS editors
- Edit Book: The Remove Unused CSS tool now has an option to also merge CSS rules that have identical selectors
- Add a tweak in Preferences->Tweaks to exclude some images types from being treated a covers when dropped onto the Book Details panel.
- Content server: OPDS feeds: Change the value of <updated> for entries in the acquisition feed to be the last modified date for the book. Also make the size and last modified timestamp available as attributes in the acquisition links. Useful for integration with third party applications.
- Kobo driver: Add support for firmware version 4 available on the new Kobo Aura One
If you've any kind of non DRM-protected e-book collection then you need this amazingly versatile and feature-rich management application. Go download it immediately