Develop an application and you need a system of adding this to a users system. The Windows operating system requires certain Registry keys in order to be able to find applications and files on your computer, as well as associate filetypes with installed software.
For this reason, applications have always been wrapped up in an installer, which enables the user to select the destination, choose a customised install and much more. As a lot of software is distributed on a freeware basis, most programmers can’t afford to purchase commercial installer software to distribute their software.
Inno Setup is a free commercial-grade installer development tool that will enable you to create professional installers suitable for most uses. You can use it to create a multi-lingual installer, compress the content to save space, create 32-bit as well as a 64-bit installers and much more.
What's new in Inno Setup 5.5.6?
- Added the Windows 10 "compatibility" section to the various manifest resources used by Inno Setup. This enables any check for the operating system version to get the real version number (10.0) instead of getting the same version number as it did in Windows 8.1 (6.3).
- Added new [Setup] section directive: SignToolRetryCount, which defaults to 2. Specifies the number of times the Setup Compiler should automatically retry digital signing on any errors.
- Added new [Setup] section directive: SetupMutex. Can be used to prevent Setup from running while Setup is already running.
- Fix: Console-mode compiler (ISCC) change: Renamed /DO and /EO command line parameters to /O- and /O+ to avoid possible conflicts with /D.
- Pascal Scripting change: Unicode Inno Setup: Added new functions VarIsClear and UnpinShellLink.
- Inno Setup Preprocessor (ISPP) change: Added new function ForceDirectories.
- Unicode [Code] based on RemObjects Pascal Script Git commit db0d6f521113a31b34a76aeefd79fb148a9c4bfd.
- Various documentation improvements. Contributed by jogo- via GitHub.
- Minor tweaks.
This is one of the best installer developer tools available and will enable you to produce commercial-level installers