Acronis True Image 2015 is the next generation of Acronis International's popular backup tool.
The core of the program remains as before: it's a powerful way to back up anything from individual files and folders, to single partitions or entire hard drives, either locally, to external drives or the cloud.
True Image 2015 now features a completely revamped interface, making the process as simple as possible. It's all very tablet-like, with large graphics sliding in and out as you click, and once you've chosen your backup source (which can now be as simple as clicking "Entire PC") and destination and you're ready to go.
Of course there's plenty more power here, if you need it. Click the Options button and you can set up a backup scheme and method (full, incremental, differential), exclusion rules, password protection, validation, pre and post-backup commands, email notifications, a schedule, maybe even wake up a sleeping computer to run your backup job.
A new deduplication system for online backups then ensures True Image doesn't back up duplicate data blocks, which Acronis says improves speeds by an average of 10%.
Recovery is easier, with a simplified Media Builder (create Acronis and Windows PE discs from one interface) and optional recovery via wifi.
"Universal Restore" means the program can take a backup from one PC and restore it to any other (subject to hard drive sizes, of course), regardless of manufacturer, making it useful as a migration tool.
This 2015 release also sees quite a few features dumped, unfortunately: Acronis Extended Capacity Manager, .tib <> .vhd Backup file conversion, Disk Editor, Boot Sequence Manager, File Shredder, Import and export of backup settings, Try&Decide and Mail backup have all disappeared. With this in mind, 2014 users should either remain with 2014 or get the 2014 edition whilst it remains.
Build 6525 is 'Update 1' with these additional features:
- Online backup of Entire PC was improved: it is now possible to exclude files that are already protected by other applications.
- The Account and License tabs were merged to create a better user experience. All information about serial number and cloud subscription is in one place.
- Operations with backup, like edit or removal, can now be performed by right-clicking in the backup list.
- Backup status notifications now appear with a new design and are available by clicking on the status icon.
- Online backup has a new option: users can select the data center where the backup will be stored.
The new interface looks good and it's great to see a boost to online backup speeds, but the loss of many of the bonus extra tools might annoy a few.