One of the great benefits of working with digital music files is that metadata makes it possible to perform advanced searches, as well as benefiting from high quality audio. But being able to do this is dependent on having the correct information attached to files so that it can be successfully searched. The tracks you purchase online should be correctly tagged, but this is not necessary the case for those that you rip yourself.
Of course, it is possible to manually go through your music collection and add missing tags or edit those that are incorrect. But this is likely to be a very lengthy process for many people due to the size of the average music collection, so you may find it helpful to turn to MP3tag to make things a little easier.
Despite the name, the program is capable of adjusting the tags for not only MP3 files, but also WMA, MP4, OGG and many more. You can quickly apply the same tags – such as the artist name – to a folder filled with MP3s so they do not need to be edited manually, but you can also pull in information from online databases such as Amazon or Freedb to avoid the need to type anything out my hand.
In addition to making it easy to edit your music tags, MP3tag can also be used to create playlists that can be exported and used in a huge range of different music players. You can also export select information from your music collection so you can create lists of various kinds whenever you need to.
Version 2.80 (changelog):
- CHG: updated Amazon.com and Amazon.de web sources to include cover dimensions in list of search results
- NEW: added support for press and hold gesture to trigger context menu on touch devices.
- LNG: added Arabic language file and updated French and Russian language files
- NEW: added support for iTunes flag to trigger showing movement information instead of the song title via SHOWMOVEMENT (MP4 only)
- CHG: bitrate indicator is now kbits/s instead of kBit/s
- NEW: added support for iTunes tag fields for classical music
- FIX: runtime error when moving files in tag sources dialog past the end of the file list.
- FIX: runtime error when parsing some mono and non-pcm WAV files.
An invaluable tool that makes it quick and easy to edit your MP3 tags.