HTC One M8 release date, specs and features. Everything you need to know about the new HTC One M8 - the best phone of 2014?
HTC One announced the much-anticipated new HTC One. The 2014 HTC One model is also known as 'M8', and replaces the existing HTC One - the M7. The new HTC One brings a slightly larger display, expandable storage via an SD card slot, and a new 'duo camera' that allows you to focus on specific areas of a shot after you have taken it. In this article we'll focus on the release date, specs and features of the new HTC One. To find out more about the phone itself see our HTC One M8 review. You may also be interested in these articles: Galaxy S5 vs new HTC One (M8) vs Sony Xperia Z2 comparison review and HTC One M7 vs new HTC One M8 smartphone comparison review.
New HTC One M8 UK release date
The new HTC One launches today from select stores. It will be widely available but the end of the week. Find out up to date details of where to buy and price from O2, EE, Vodafone, Carphone Warehouse, Three and more in our feature: New HTC One M8 2014 UK price and where to buy in UK.
New HTC One M8 new features
Here are the key new features of the new HTC One.
One of the most potentially interesting features is Duo Camera. Using the new HTC One M8 the main Ultrapixel camera takes photos in the normal way, but a second sensor captures depth information. This allows users to refocus shots after they've been taken. It remains to seen how useful this is, but rest assured we'll be testing. In the mean time here is a video demo we made.
The new display is interesting. Up from a 4.7in screen, the new HTC One M8 now has a 5in display and navigation buttons have been moved on-screen. The phone's resolution remains at Full HD meaning a pixel density of 441ppi while the contrast ratio and viewing angles are better.
Then there is the updated BoomSound. The existing front-facing stereo speakers have gained a performance boost. This is thanks to larger speaker chambers and a redesigned amplifier.
Can you consider a unibody chassis as a feature? If so we should say that the chassis of the M8 is machined from a single piece of aluminium which is treated for its glossy finish and now wraps around to the front of the phone. Three colours are available: Metal Grey, Arctic Silver and Amber Gold.
Like the iPhone 5s, the new HTC One M8 now has a co-processor. HTC's low-power chip keeps sensors awake for features such as Motion Launch Gestures and can also track activity without a separate device via the pre-loaded Fitbit app.
The latest version of HTC's user interface, Sense 6.0, launches with the new HTC One M8 on Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Users can personalise BlinkFeed to a greater degree, change the theme of the software and even the font.
Motion Launch Gestures is another interesting new feature. Similar to LG's KnockON, the M8 can be switched on by double tapping the screen, but it does more. Swiping in from the edge of the screen launches BlinkFeed or the widget panel. Holding the phone in landscape and pressing the volume key will launch the camera app.
The M8 has a larger battery at 2600mAh and an Extreme Power Saving mode means the device can last for up to 30 hours on just 10 percent of charge. And finally the New HTC One M8 has 16GB of internal storage but now comes with a microSD card slot which can accept up to 128GB cards. The phone also comes with 65GB of free Google Drive cloud storage. See also: New HTC One (m8) 2014 launch as it happened.
Helpfully, we made a video to illustrate some of these:
New HTC One M8 specification
NEW HTC ONE DIMENSIONS AND DISPLAY
- SIZE: 146.36 x 70.6 x 9.35 mm
- WEIGHT: 160 grams
- DISPLAY: 5.0 inch, Full HD 1080p
NEW HTC ONE PROCESSOR
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 801, 2.3GHz quad-core CPU
NEW HTC ONE SOFTWARE
- Android 4.4 with HTC Sense 6
- HTC BlinkFeed
NEW HTC ONE MEMORY
- Total storage: 16/32GB
- RAM: 2GB
- Expansion card slot supports microSD memory card for up to 128GB additional storage (card not included)
NEW HTC ONE BATTERY
- Capacity: 2600 mAh
- Embedded rechargeable Li-polymer battery
- Talk time: Up to 20 hours for 3G
- Standby time : Up to 496 hours for 3G
NEW HTC ONE CAMERA
- Primary camera: HTC UltraPixel camera, BSI sensor, pixel size 2.0 um, sensor size 1/3in, f/2.0, 28mm lens
- HTC ImageChip 2
- 1080p Full HD video recording with HDR video
- Secondary camera: capture depth information
- 5MP, f/2.0, BSI sensor, wide angle lens. with HDR capability, 1080p Full HD video recording
- Gallery with UFocus™, Dimension Plus™, Seasons, Foregrounder, Image Match
NEW HTC ONE NETWORK
- 2G/2.5G - GSM/GPRS/EDGE:
- 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
3G - WCDMA:
- EMEA: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps
- Asia: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps
- AT&T: 850/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps
- Sprint: 850/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA up to 14.4 Mbps
- Verizon: 850/900/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 14.4 Mbps
- TMUS: 850/AWS/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps
- Sprint: 800/1900
- Verizon: 800/1900
4G - LTE:
- EMEA: 800/900/1800/2600 MHz
- Asia: 700/900/1800/2100/2600 MHz
- AT&T: 700/850/AWS/1800/1900/2600 MHz
- Sprint: FDD 800/1900 MHz , TDD 2600 MHz
- Verizon: 700/AWS/1800/2600 MHz
- TMUS: 700/AWS MHz
- NEW HTC ONE SIM
- Nano SIM
NEW HTC ONE SENSORS
- Proximity sensor
- Ambient light sensor
- Gyro sensor
- Barometer sensor
NEW HTC ONE CONNECTIVITY
- 3.5 mm stereo audio jack
- Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX enabled
- Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 & 5 GHz)
- DLNA for wirelessly streaming media from the phone to a compatible TV or computer,
- HTC Connect
- micro-USB 2.0 (5-pin) port with mobile high-definition video link (MHL) for USB or HDMI connection (Special cable required for HDMI connection.)
- Support consumer infrared remote control
NEW HTC ONE SOUND
- HTC BoomSound
- Dual frontal stereo speakers with built-in amplifiers
- Sense Voice
NEW HTC ONE MULTIMEDIA
Audio supported formats:
- Playback: .aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma (Windows Media Audio 10)
Video supported formats:
- Playback: .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .wmv (Windows Media Video 10), .avi (MP4 ASP and MP3)
NEW HTC ONE LOCATION
- Internal GPS antenna + GLONASS
- Digital compass
NEW HTC ONE AC ADAPTER
- Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz
- DC output: 5 V and 1.5 A